Thursday 20 March 2008

[Typography] Quote "Creativity is ...." - Dr. Edwin Land

quote - creative design - small

This is my official post for this week. I highly recommend that you should see it in a larger size at this link: http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee9/Achilliesin/quote-creativedesign-large.jpg

Note:Every week I will post an artwork which does not repeat the subjects of previous weeks. If it does, I will mark it "NOT official post".

This week I try to play a little bit with Typography. In this design, I use type to create theme and variation. However, this term is quite difficult to deal with and I actually have not enough skills + knowledge to make it look professional. So, I use haft unity, haft variety in this. :P

Working procedure:
I use Illustrator for this design.
_ I have a paper texture in my library, so I just use it.
_ I arrange the main text first: "an essential aspect of Creativity is not being afraid to fail". Then, make the 'focal point' of the whole artwork. As you can see, it's "Creativity". This may be called "unity".
_ However, after the second step, the artwork seems to be quite empty. So, I make a lot of text with various opacities to make a "theme" which supports the main text. This may be called "variety".
_ I export it as a JPEG file and then fix the color in photoshop. In fact, I make it more rough and dirty in order to show the "classical look".
_ Lastly, I save as two version: small one to post in this blog. Larger one to see clearer.

Please leave comments. I would love to hear your critical thinking. Thanks. :)

No comments: